We have come together to create a caring, egalitarian, environmentally sustainable, health-promoting, and fun-filled community built on trust and mutual respect where we can enjoy the benefits of aging in community. We are committed to nurturing our growth as individuals, as a community, and as participants in our neighborhood and beyond. While acknowledging that each of us holds dear our personal views and beliefs, we are united and guided by our shared core values and goals.
We aspire to:
Participate in and support community
- Share in meals, creativity, play, fun, and laughter.
- Balance community and privacy.
- Respect each other’s personal choices and needs for activity, rest, and quiet.
- Create an aesthetically pleasing, inviting, and safe place to live.
- Encourage positive engagement in MVCC, our surrounding community, and beyond.
- Practice good communication skills:
- listen to understand
- speak with candor and honesty
- maintain open minds
- consider the interests and feelings of others.
- Strive for authenticity, hospitality, and generosity.
Share responsibility and governance
- Maintain openness and transparency in community decision-making.
- Make decisions by consensus, giving each household an equal voice and drawing on everyone’s knowledge and strengths.
- Accept responsibility and follow through on commitments.
- Practice thoughtfulness, patience, and willingness to compromise.
- Consider the needs of the community, and accept decisions that we may not have foreseen or advocated.
Live an environmentally conscious life
- Support each other in reducing our impact on the earth.
- Reuse, recycle, share, reduce waste, conserve energy and materials.
- Produce food and clean energy.
Promote health, growth, and individual worth
- Optimize our ability to age well in community through a culture of supportive relationships.
- Be responsible for our own health care and personal care needs.
- Recognize and honor the unique ways in which members think and contribute.
- Maintain positive relationships with each other in spite of differences of opinion; trust that others’ intentions are good.
- Value our differences in age, background, religion, politics, sexual orientation, skills, interests, physical ability, economic circumstance, ethnicity, etc.
- Encourage celebrations of diverse traditions and explorations of the spirit.
- Open ourselves to the process of personal growth.
- Cultivate life-long learning and mindfulness. Live in the present and respond with curiosity to our life experiences.